Not sure exactly where this post is going, but its been an interesting week, so we'll see.
One of the things I've been thinking about a lot is the perspective I have about different people. Some people look like they're in total control of their life. Others look like the wheels are just about to fall off. Its not that I wonder about the difference, only that I think the outward appearance probably isn't true most of the time.
What prompts this thought is how the first part of my week progressed. I got back from training with my Marines over the weekend, and new mountains of responsibility had been heaped on me -- none of which I really wanted (life is busy enough without more work for the same pay). I was angry about the fact that one of my Marines showed a distinct lack of effort and motivation which ultimately resulted in me doing a lot more work on an 8 mile march than I had wanted. I was bitter about seeing another Marine get promoted ahead of me when he had held none of the same responsibilites that I had. I was frustrated with being slid into a position which had been mismanaged for several months, and then being left to pick up the pieces. Monday was an uncharacteristically bad day.
The more I thought on it, the more this "wheels falling off" type mentality had been present in my life. I pretty routinely feel as though my efforts are insufficient in virtually every area of my life, ranging everywhere from the Marines, to research, to relationships -- I generally feel as though I'm failing. At best, "just getting by." Even when I do things that I know honor God -- pray for people, study scripture, fast -- I always wonder why I didn't do more. I feel guilty, even about doing things that I know are pleasing to God, because I never feel like I've done enough. (Fortunately, some resolution is coming here and it feels as though the clouds are beginning to part...)
Now here's the kicker: despite these feelings of inadequacy and failure, apparently I don't show that. Several times people complimented on how disciplined and encouraging I am (please don't take this as boasting... that is not the intent), despite that my life currently feels like a massive train wreck and that I'm an epic failure on all fronts.
The point I'd make is that there are people that I respect and admire, who in my eyes seem to have everything together, but I suspect sometimes feel just as swamped, frustrated, and inadequate as I do. The only difference between how I see them and how they see themselves is our perspective.
Landlord keeps using his key to enter tenant's apartment without notice,
making her fear she'll find him inside at any moment: ‘I don't feel safe in
my own home ’
-
Home doesn't feel like home when someone else can walk through the front
door at any moment.
What began as a few surprise maintenance visits quickly turned...
4 hours ago
1 comment:
Life really is about the matter of perspective. I had a talk recently with a fifty year old man who felt that know matter how old he got, he still felt like he was young, minus a few physical limitations settling in. I had also thought about age in the same perspective that week...wondering when I will ever start to feel mature as I have always viewed those older than me. So I got my answer... we just have to either become or we just are.
Post a Comment